I love making mincemeat; it’s really easy to do, and really hard to get wrong. And it tastes amazing! Whether you’re making it for your own mince pies or to give as gifts, it’s one of those things you can make early and get out of the way before the Christmas rush.
- 8oz Bramley apples, cored & chopped finely – no need to peel
- 4oz shredded suet
- 6oz raisins
- 4oz sultanas
- 4oz dried cranberries
- 4oz mixed peel
- 6oz soft dark brown sugar
- grated zest & juice of 1 orange or 2 satsumas
- grated zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 2tsp mixed ground spice
- quarter tsp ground cinnamon
- good pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 3tbsp brandy
- Put all ingredients except the brandy into a large bowl and mix together.
- Place a clean cloth over the bowl and leave for 12 hours
- After 12 ohurs, pour the mixture into a slow cooker and cook on low for four hours, stirring often.
- Once finished, stir in the brandy and transfer to sterilised jars.
Easy slow cooker mincemeat: Notes
- You can do this over a weekend with children: spend Saturday afternoon weighing and mixing the mincemeat, then place into the slow cooker on Sunday.
- To sterilise jars, put them on a tray in the oven (over 100°) for five minutes. If you are using Kilner jars, you will need to boil the rubber seals separately.
- The joy of this recipe is that none of the measurements are exact and you can easily substitute different fruits for others. Some people add sliced almonds or other nuts too.