Today is Single Parents’ Day, though you probably didn’t notice. There don’t seem to be too many cards in the shops for this one, do there. Probably because if you’re a single parent, you don’t have a partner to go out and blow a small fortune on gifts for your child to give you.
Here are five reasons I love being a single parent:
1. I get to decide. Being a single parent means no compromise on parenting techniques, no arguing over which nursery she should go to, which is the better school, whether she needs to wear a jumper when we go out. What I say goes!
2. I get all the love. S is just getting to the stage where I can have a kiss whenever I ask for one – and cuddles too! She is filled with love and happiness, and it’s all for me! Being a single parent means you don’t have to share cuddles and kisses!
3. S sleeps in my bed. If she wakes in the night, I don’t have to wake up and drag myself into another room to help her get back to sleep. When she wakes in the morning I don’t have to worry about her wandering off around the house. Plus, in Winter, she’s like a little hot water bottle! Being a single parent means there’s always a space for S next to me.
4. We have a really close bond. We go everywhere and do everything together and fit together perfectly. Being a single parent means we’re extra close.
5. We do what we want, when we want. Being a single parent means no checking whether someone else wants to join us or waiting for someone else to get ready – unless we want to invite someone else!
Being a single parent was not what I had in mind when I thought about becoming a mother. I used to feel that I had failed S by bringing her into a single parent home, without a father. Now I am proud to be able to say I’ve stood my ground and kept her safe from harm. I am proud of her; I am proud of us. And being a single parent means I can take all the credit for how awesome she is!
Thank you for reading!
If you have enjoyed this post, I would love if you’d nominate me for a Brilliance in Blogging Award.
Click the picture for details and the nomination form: