Recipe: Easy Slow Cooker Mincemeat
I love making mincemeat; it’s really easy, impossible to get wrong, and really tasty. Whether you’re making it for mince pies closer to Christmas, or to give as gifts, it’s a great thing you can make early and get out of the way before the Christmas rush.
- 8oz Bramley apples, cored & chopped up small - no need to peel
- 4oz shredded suet
- 6oz raisins
- 4oz sultanas
- 4oz dried cranberries
- 4oz mixed peel
- 6oz soft dark brown sugar
- grated zest & juice of one orange (or two satsumas)
- grated zest & juice of one lemon
- 2tsp mixed ground spice
- quarter tsp ground cinnamon
- good pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tbsp brandy
- Put everything except the brandy into a big bowl and mix it together.
- Put a clean cloth over the bowl and leave it for 12 or so hours.
- After 12 hours, pour the mixture into the slow cooker and cook on low for four hours.
- Once it's done, stir through the brandy and put in sterilised jars.
- Tip: You can do this over a weekend with children; spend Saturday morning weighing and mixing it all, then on Sunday morning you can get up and put it in the slow cooker; on Sunday afternoon you put it in the jars.
- Tip: To sterilise jars, just shove them on a tray in the oven (over 100 degrees) for a few minutes. If you're using Kilner jars you'll need to boil the rubber seals as they won't fare well in the oven!
The beauty of this recipe is that you can just add and substitute whatever you want, really. if you don’t like mixed peel, use a different dried fruit instead. Some people add sliced almonds or other nuts.
And once it’s done, you can stick the jars in the back of the cupboard until closer to Christmas time! The longer mincemeat is left, the better it tastes. Fact.
Maria @ Suburban Mum
We love mince pies in our household but I have never maken mincement myself - let alone a slow cooker version. I might give this a go this year! #KCACOLS Maria @ Suburban Mum recently posted...Orchard Toys Shopping List review and giveaway
Harry's Honest Mummy
Nothing says Xmas like Mince Pies. Especially home made ones. I am actually smacking my lips having read this post and hunting around for cake and hot custard. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Might be a job for the weekend :-) #KCACOLS Harry's Honest Mummy recently posted...Snapshot of the Week – #14