Do you take a magnesium supplement? It’s one of those things that’s probably not at the top of your list, but it’s really important.
Studies show that magnesium is required for over 300 cellular functions in our bodies, so if we’re deficient – and most of the population is – then that’s over 300 things our bodies can’t do properly. Here are just a few things a magnesium supplement can help with:
- Energy – magnesium activates ATP (adenosine triphosphate) which helps the body to regulate energy levels.
- Anxiety – magnesium is needed for GABA function; GABA is a neurotransmitter that regulates serotonin and other “happy hormones.” In fact there are several hormones regulated by magnesium, which can help with calming our thoughts and promoting relaxation.
- Physical relaxation – we need magnesium to relax our muscles. A deficiency in magnesium can cause muscle soreness, tightness and cramping.
- Digestion – magnesium also relaxes the muscles in the intestines, and so can help with things like IBS and constipation.
- Heart health – we store most of our magnesium within the heart. It works with calcium to support proper blood pressure levels and prevent hypertension.
- Headaches – magnesium is involved in neurotransmitter function and blood circulation so it can help to control migraine-type headaches by reducing constriction of the blood vessels.
- Osteoporosis Prevention – magnesium is needed for proper bone formation and influences the activities of the cells that build bones.
Basically, if you think, move or ever get stressed, you need magnesium. More activity uses up more magnesium, as does drinking alcohol or fizzy drinks.
The amount of magnesium we need varies from person to person – it depends on our activity levels, our stress levels, our diet and our size. But since 80% of the population is deficient, it’s safe to say most of us need more than we’re currently getting.
Say hello to MAG365! This is a magnesium powder made from two ingredients: magnesium carbonate and citric acid. When added to hot water it fizzes, which is the carbonate part being driven off. The two ingredients combine, forming a liquid ionic magnesium citrate. The product contains no anti-caking agents or fillers which you can often find with pills and capsules.
This supplement works so well because the liquid magnesium citrate is 100% in solution and slightly acidic – and all minerals need to be in an acidic state in order to be absorbed. Once consumed, it becomes an alkalising drink in the same way that lemons can have an alkalising affect on the body.
Magnesium tablets and capsules have the magnesium in a salt form, which makes the magnesium harder to ionise – and magnesium needs to be in an ionised form in order to be absorbed by the body. MAG365 is in a slightly acidic, ionic state to help the body absorb it.
As we age we have less stomach acid available to ionise minerals in the stomach. Minerals ionise at different rates, and if we’re relying on stomach acid to ionise our magnesium supplements in tablet form, we’ll find that they are competing with other essential minerals for a limited amount of stomach acid – and those that ionise more quickly than magnesium will win out. So that table supplement you’re taking might have a lot of magnesium in it, but it also might not actually be being absorbed into your body. Because MAG 365 is already ionised, you avoid this competition in the stomach and absorb the magnesium.
MAG365 have offered a 20% discount for my readers; simply use the code VICKY at checkout.