Here are some of the things I rise above, as a single mother:
- People assuming you got pregnant on purpose, to get benefits and a council flat. – only people who have never tried to survive on benefits, in a council flat, think this.
- People assuming you’re uneducated. – as it happens, the majority of single parents are older and well educated. But well done for believing the Daily Fail.
- Comments about “benefits scum” – really?!
- The government and right-wing media – yawn. No, the current economic crisis was not my fault.
- Other mothers acting like you’re out to steal their partner. – yep, I definitely want to steal the lazy, smelly partner you’re always slagging off.
- People asking where S’s father is. – not here, obviously.
- People having an opinion without knowing the facts – yes, I’m sure you know exactly how my child will fare, without a father in her life. I’m sure you’ve even read an article about it.
- People thinking I need to know what my ex is up to. – I honestly do not care what that miscreant gets up to; none of it has any bearing on our lives. Stop trying to get your drama fix here; go back to Eastenders.
- Missing out on things because you’ve no childcare. – I don’t just have a partner at home who can stay with S while I go to things; my childcare is limited, and therefore so is my social life.
- The head on one side thing. – ohh, you’re a single mum? I bet that’s hard. No, it’s just my life and I just live it. Put your head back on straight and go feel sorry for someone else.
- “I’m just like a single mother…” Even if your partner is only home one night a month, he still brings a paycheck with him. You’re not just like a single mother unless you are a single mother. Shut up.
- Gender inequality – it’s rife everywhere, but there’s little more riling as a single mother than to be judged for everything you do and don’t do, while a single father is often “so brave” and “doing so well” when his kids turn up for school wearing shoes.
Okay, rant over!
Do you have any to add?