#DayInTheLife (1)

Dominique Simpson first began looking at blogs after the birth of her son in 2001. She had a couple of attempts before she began Playing Parent last year. She chose the name “Playing Parent” because she often feels that she has no idea what she’s doing; she’s just playing along, hoping not to get it wrong! 

This is a day in Dominique’s Life.

Back before the new year when Vicky asked me if I would like to be part of her series on ‘a typical day in my life’ of various bloggers I Playing Parentwas extremely flattered and keen to be involved. When her first email came through I sketched out in my head a rough outline of my ‘typical’ day (if there is such a thing) and thought to myself I will work on that nearer the time.

Fast forward two months and the ‘typical day’ I had back then has changed beyond recognition. Since January, I have returned to work and we admitted defeat with running a rural pub as tenants and walked away from the business that was bleeding us dry, both financially and emotionally. Luckily I had wanted to return to work as a teacher and had my job before the decision to leave the tenancy of the pub. However what we weren’t banking on was me becoming the main bread winner. As a result with everything going on my blogging has had to take a bit of a back seat whilst we re-adjust to life on the ‘outside’ again after 5 years of the pub trade.

All this aside we are incredibly lucky and have learned so much about myself and the strength of our marriage. Every day we really try to appreciate what we have and not what we have lost. We currently rent in the village where we ran the pub. Although we don’t have the security of owning our own house the payoff is being able to bring our son up in a place where we know everybody and can enjoy the countryside around us. Now I am teaching again, my morning involves getting up and out the house before the boys wake and my husband does the school run. The only downside of living in such a rural idyll is we have to use the car to get everywhere and nowhere is close by. To get to nursery school 3 days a week we are looking at a 30 mile round trip but it is only until the summer when (fingers crossed) Garth will start at a local village school.

The school where I work is a very special place that has recently been taken over by a group of parents after the previous owners tried to close it down. Each day brings something new to think about and as Head of Early Years I have a big responsibility to develop a fledgling department that is very small. However after 4 years of working alongside my husband and being together more than is natural in a marriage I am loving being back in my comfort zone of school life and having my own independent identity again. Plus it gives us something to talk about in the evenings when I get home.

Generally I am home by about 5pm and whilst Ed isn’t working (fingers crossed this won’t be for too long) he has picked Garth up from school and getting his tea ready and if the weather has been nice they have walked the dog. Doodle our Shih Tzu is something of a fussy prima donna who dislikes walks in bad weather so we have given up taking her for a drag when the rain is coming down! I am really fortunate in that as I have a relatively small class I am able to get most of my preparation and marking done in school so I don’t have to bring home lots of work for the evening like I had to in some of my previous teaching positions. When we had the pub Ed was usually out of the door by 5.30pm and off to the pub so it often felt as though we were ships passing in the night, having the majority of our conversations via text or phone. To have him at home in the evenings for the past month has taken some adjusting to but has also been great to have adult company or any company past 7.30pm.

By the time supper is done and dusted it is usually about 9pm so I will sit down and watch some tv. This is when I start feeling guilty that I haven’t written a blog post for a while as I tend to watch tv and have the laptop open looking through the blogs I love or finding new ones to look at. I am big into

trying to get organized which is something I am terrible at and love the site Mary Organizes www.maryorganizes.com and Pintrest. I absolutely love visuals and photography is a big thing for me so a great picture and tag line will always get me clicking through or adding a pin to a board to look at later. The most popular post I have ever written was about creating an organized hallway or command centre. Something I still have a long way to go with if you saw the state of our hallway today! By about 10pm I go to bed and have 15 minutes of escapism listening to The Archers podcast and then pop onto The Archers Anonymous Facebook page to read the comments. The folks who hang out there are a very witty bunch and are pretty passionate about all things Archers. It always makes very entertaining reading.

While we are all adjusting to this new routine I haven’t really had the mental energy to think about my blog which has got me down a bit but now the worst is behind us in getting used to things I know I will be back on track. Being back in the classroom has given me tons of ideas that I want to share and also working out of the home again has highlighted how I really need to get a routine established and 2015 will be my year to become organized in EVERY area of my life!

Dominique is taking part in my #DayInTheLife project, a series of posts where people write about their typical day. If you would like to take part, please fill in the form on my blog post here.

Vicky Charles

Vicky is a single mother, writer and card reader.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.