I love gingerbread, but I always thought it was too complicated to make myself. Then a friend shared this recipe with me, and I’ve never looked back. It’s simple and foolproof.
- 350g plain flour – plus extra for prep
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 125g butter
- 175g light soft brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 4tbsp golden syrup
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Add the egg, butter and golden syrup and mix.
- Once the dough eventually comes together, tip it out onto a floured surface. This dough is really sticky and will soak up a lot of flour once you start to work it, so keep lots more handy!
- Roll the dough out, cut into shapes and place on a greased baking sheet making sure there is a generous gap between them.
- Bake them at 190°C for 10-15 minutes. The gingerbread will still be a little gooey when it comes out of the oven. Don’t leave it in the oven until it hardens or nobody will want to eat it!
- Leave to cool, then decorate as you see fit!