After a year of my bed being a mattress on the floor so that S wasn’t in danger of injury when sharing my bed, I finally put the frame back together last week.
I’m loving having a proper bed again – but I was worried about S mastering the art of climbing┬ádown from it, rather than face-planting, as she seems to do from the sofa or anywhere else she manages to climb to.
I spent a bit of time showing her how to roll onto her belly and always go feet first. That was more than a little nerve racking, since my daughter seems to have no concept of height being a problem, and would happily launch herself towards the very edge of the bed with no concern as to whether she might fall off.
Surprisingly though, after the first couple of aided demonstrations, she seems to have picked it up pretty well. So far we’ve only had one falling-off incident, and that was when she let herself down too quickly, rather than an actual face-plant.
I took these photos yesterday morning and as you can tell, she’s climbing down from the bed like a seasoned pro now… even if I do spend most of the time in a panic saying “remember how we get down! Feet first! Feet first!!

Vicky Charles

Vicky is a mother, a blogger, a podcaster and a social media trainer. She writes about life as a single mother, parenting and lifestyle type things.

7 Comments

Colette B · 23/10/2013 at 14:42

That&#39;s how I taught my two to come down the stairs too :) <br />#SSAmazingAchievements

mumturnedmom · 23/10/2013 at 21:30

It&#39;s so great when they learn things like this – especially as it&#39;s transferable to lots of other &#39;be careful&#39; moments :) well done S! #SSAmazingAchievements

Pinkoddy · 23/10/2013 at 21:34

Aww that&#39;s so sweet. I love how you&#39;e captured her getting down, and how she&#39;s picked it up so quickly. Do you feel you are sleeping better now too?

sabrina montagnoli · 23/10/2013 at 21:39

Oh I remember clearly my hubby teaching our wee man how to get safely off the bed! They do pick it up quickly don&#39;t they! Clever girl.

Sarah Wheeler · 24/10/2013 at 18:21

Looks like she hsa cottoned on to that one fast!

Jane Roberts · 28/10/2013 at 13:04

It&#39;s fantastic that she has mastered this skill so quickly. I still say &#39;Careful&#39; when we get down from the bed, I think I always will!<br /><br />Thanks for linking up with Small Steps Amazing Achievements :0)<br />x

Dawn, MummyWifeWoman · 28/10/2013 at 18:34

Thats fantastic. What an achievement. I love the pictures, theyre too cute :) But yes she does look every bit the pro!! :)