spelling punctuation grammar

I hate to admit it, but I’m a bit of a snob when it comes to spelling, punctuation and grammar.

If you can’t tell the difference between “your” and “you’re”
If you post on Facebook that you are “on route” somewhere
If you constantly use txt spk
If you don’t know that an apostrophe denotes ownership or a missing letter, and not just an S at the end of a word
If your sentences never feature commas
If you randomly use colons and semi-colons mid sentence for no apparent reason
If you don’t know the difference between “there,” “their” and “they’re”
If you use ie in place of eg or nb
If you put Random Capitals at the start of words that do not require capitals
If you use “too” when you mean “to” and vice versa
If your sentences run over several lines because you’ve forgotten where the full stop button is
If you hyphenate words that should-not-be-hyphenated
If you say things like “2am in the morning” or “3 pm in the afternoon”
If you say “seen as” instead of “seeing as”
If you write “loose” when you mean “lose”
If you say “the reason being is…”

… you can pretty much guarantee I don’t read your Facebook updates/Twitter feeds/blog posts past the second mistake.

And I judge you.

Vicky Charles

Vicky is a mother, a blogger, a podcaster and a social media trainer. She writes about life as a single mother, parenting and lifestyle type things.

23 Comments

Anonymous · 20/05/2013 at 20:27

They may have dyslexia!

MamaMummyMum · 07/06/2014 at 08:28

mmmm see as much as the odd grammatical, spelling mistake can bother me, I also know it isn't always their fault,as the previous comment states, they could have something like dyslexia. I consider myself fairly intelligent but even I can make mistakes, and then of course there is also auto correct which isn't always correct lol x #archiveday

Vicky Charles · 08/06/2014 at 10:47

I understand what you mean, and it&#39;s not like I instantly close a page if someone makes a mistake – but there is usually a difference between dyslexic spelling mistakes or auto-correct errors, and just general misuse of grammar.<br />Also it irritates me when people say it doesn&#39;t matter, or they didn&#39;t learn it in school – if we&#39;re publishing our writing for the world to see, and

Lisa1970 · 07/06/2014 at 20:01

Why are there/they&#39;re/their no more comments on this? It&#39;s/its a brilliant list! I wrote a similarly judging piece about bloggers a while back as one I know only bothers to proof-read her text if it&#39;s a sponsored post! You missed one of my favourite pet peeves though: should/could/would have *not* of ;)

Vicky Charles · 08/06/2014 at 10:49

Ha thanks, I&#39;m glad you appreciated it. When I first posted it, I got a lot of grief on Facebook – a place that is rife with poor spelling and wilful misuse of language!<br />It&#39;s fair enough to have a poor grasp of spelling and grammar, but if our writing is being published into the public domain then we really should make the effort to learn!<br />And you are so right – &quot;could of&

slouchingtowardsthatcham.com · 07/06/2014 at 22:30

Ah, I too am a fully paid-up member of the Society of Grammar Pedants. As the old saying goes, good grammar is the difference between knowing your s*** and knowing you&#39;re s*** … :-)

Vicky Charles · 08/06/2014 at 10:44

… and that is something I appreciate about your blog!

Tara D · 08/06/2014 at 11:20

I could have written this.

Natasha · 22/11/2014 at 08:12

Me too! This is a great list, especially ‘2am in the morning’. I’ve seen that so often.

Vicky Charles · 22/11/2014 at 09:36

So glad it’s not just me!

Michelle Willis · 14/06/2014 at 16:10

Don&#39;t get me started on grammar

Michelle Willis · 14/06/2014 at 16:12

Don&#39;t get me started on grammar issues. Their, there and they&#39;re are biggies for me! If I don&#39;t know how to use a punctuation mark, I don&#39;t use it at all. I do however make sure I remember where the full stop button is!

Notmyyearoff · 22/11/2014 at 07:23

The only one that makes me twitch is when people write “should of”. No no no.

Vicky Charles · 22/11/2014 at 09:43

oh my gosh, you’re so right. Or could of. ARGH!

Leandra · 22/11/2014 at 08:00

Ha ha think this is brilliant! I-must-stop using ‘ie’ and hyphens and caps and over punctuate (my particular weakness!) ;) great post :)

Terry Tyler · 22/11/2014 at 10:26

Good for you. I’m the same. I recently gave an otherwise quite good book only 3* on Amazon because it had random semicolons all over the place. If I read a book blurb with even an out of place comma I won’t buy the book (ps, I recently found out that semicolon is all one word, not hyphenated!!).

Worst of all is when we’re called ‘grammar Nazis’…..

Vicky Charles · 22/11/2014 at 11:31

I hate it when people take offence; I feel like just coming out and saying it: YOU’RE WRONG THOUGH!
    Incidentally I did an entire module of an OU course where the tutor would not allow us to use semicolons. I almost went to the papers about that one!

Terry Tyler · 22/11/2014 at 17:08

I suppose it’s only because it makes them feel thick! That OU tutor should have been shot :)

Hannah Budding Smiles · 22/11/2014 at 21:33

Hahaha A lady after my-own-heart indeed! I dont fink ppl even no wat is wrong with putting they brought sum chocolate’s or have learned someone a lesson. Argh!!! ;-)

Keisha | The Girl Next Door is Black · 21/02/2015 at 21:29

I used to be a bitter of a grammar snob, but I realized that some of the smartest people I know either aren’t the best spellers or don’t have strong writing skills. With that said, I am reformed, so that means I still wince when I see some of the errors you mentioned above. :)

Keisha | The Girl Next Door is Black · 21/02/2015 at 21:29

And the other reason I am a reformed grammar snob? Sometimes you make an honest typo and can’t edit it. ;)

Vicky Charles · 21/02/2015 at 22:26

I think my problem isn’t with people not knowing how to spell, so much as the idea that one can know they don’t spell very well, and still don’t employ a spell checker! It’s one thing to write a Tweet or Facebook update with poor spelling and grammar, but to publish a blog post like it is just irritating to me. Also if you have something worth saying in a blog in the first place, wouldn’t you want to write it really well so that as many people as possible will read it?

Yet Another Blogging Mummy!!! · 21/02/2015 at 22:45

Hopefully my blog posts are okay, although my tweets may not have the correct grammar and punctuation, to fit within the 140 character limit. #ArchiveDay