Sling Talk

Things people have said to me while I am carrying S in the sling:

• That’s the best way to travel!- well of course it is.
  • She looks comfortable!  – yes, I should hope she is.
  • He looks comfortable!  – yes, SHE is.
  • You’ve got something on you… – oh, you’re such a jolly japester!
  • Is there something you want to get off your chest? – see above
  • Isn’t she heavy like that? – as opposed to not being heavy somewhere else
  • Nawwwww!  – yeah, I’m cute, I know
  • You’re not still carrying her, are you? – I know, I would have thought by a year old she’d be walking everywhere too.
  • I wish I could go about like that. – I think you’d get bored of the view
  • I bet that’s difficult isn’t it? – in comparison to what?
  • Doesn’t your back hurt? – not if she’s positioned correctly in the sling!
  • Don’t you have a buggy? – yes, and I love when I have to try and manoeuvre it around displays in shops, have doors dropped on me, and – a personal favourite – bump it up a flight of steps to my front door!
  • There’s a baby on you. – oh, you’re funny.
  • It’s not good for them to be like that; put her in the buggy so she can see things! – yes, I’m sure she’s just dying to see everyone’s knees and shopping bags. Who wants to see faces and be talked to all the way around the shops?
mama with baby in sling
You get extra points if you come up with something amusing… or at least something I’ve not heard a million times before!
If you’ve enjoyed this post, you may also enjoy:

Vicky Charles

Vicky is a mother, a blogger, a podcaster and a social media trainer. She writes about life as a single mother, parenting and lifestyle type things.

9 Comments

Deborah Patrick · 25/05/2013 at 20:51

I've been humming and ha-ing about whether or not to invest in a sling. Would you advise one? x

Vicky Charles · 25/05/2013 at 21:03

Absolutely! I&#39;ve used a sling with S since she was tiny, and love it. <br />Practically, it&#39;s 100 times easier to get around busy shops without the buggy. But also, I think it&#39;s nicer for baby to be close to you. They&#39;re at eye level so can see more of what&#39;s going on, and S has literally never cried whilst in the sling. Plus if you&#39;re breastfeeding, you can do that while

delusionsofcandour · 25/05/2013 at 22:23

When DS was newborn I had a massive raincoat that I could do up over the sling (not covering his head, before anyone panics!). I was in the corner shop one day and an elderly gent kept staring at me. After a couple of minutes DS started grumbling so I undid the raincoat, at which point the gent exclaimed loudly &quot;Well bugger me, that&#39;s a baby! I thought you were just really fat!&quot;.

Laura Huggins · 27/05/2013 at 07:46

I would have said &#39;Doesn&#39;t that make your back hurt&#39; So no extra points for me :-( <br /><br />S does look really comfy though, I definitely might have to invest in a sling for future kids. <br /><br />Thank you for linking up with The Weekend Blog Hop. <br /><br />Hope to see you again next week<br /><br />Laura

Hannah Budding Smiles · 18/05/2014 at 11:44

I&#39;ve got a gauze woven wrap for when Baby C arrives and it came with a slightly fleecy winter wrap too… Can&#39;t wait! I&#39;ve been practicing with teddy bears!xx

Joy Morales · 12/07/2015 at 00:46

I wore M in a carrier until she was nearly 2 – there is nothing better than to be able to carry your baby with arms free! I loved it….don’t think I would have been able to go grocery shopping without it considering I live up three flights of stairs! I never did find a good infant one though…used an Ergo once she was about 6 months old, but I’d like to try to figure out a wrap for the next one. I’ve got about six months to figure it out!

Vicky Charles · 12/07/2015 at 14:55

I had an Ergo for S as well and loved it, it felt so secure. Before that I used a stretchy wrap, which was lovely and so unobtrusive – just felt like cuddles when she was tiny. As she got bigger though having it tied around my waist hurt my hernia and I had no choice but to move over to the Ergo. I also have a ring sling which I used with S when she didn’t want to go in the sling all the time but got tired legs after a journey around the shops. I’ve seen people use those from a very young age but it never felt particularly safe for me – more something to help take the weight while I steadied her with one arm.

Janet Yarwood · 12/07/2015 at 21:59

Ha ha, every single one! And my personal favourite – is that a doll in there? I’m a reasonably sane 35 year old woman, why on earth would I be carrying a doll around?!?

Vicky Charles · 13/07/2015 at 10:42

omg, do people really say that? Aren’t you tempted to say “yes, yes it is!”
    I walked past a couple in the street once and as I passed I heard one of them say “yeah, but any time you bent over the baby would fall out!” I was so tempted to go “yeah, she falls out all the time, it’s hilarious.”