- Save the image, and use it in my acceptance post (done!)
- List three things I love about motherhood
- Nominate as many deserving mamas as I like, and let them know I have done so…
- It sorted me right out. I’ve had mental issues for a long time, and had a rather spectacular breakdown a couple of years ago. I was still struggling to recover from that when I met S’s father and got pregnant, and pretty much went right back to square one. Now here I am, mother of the most gorgeous almost-one-year-old, and I find that mental health is not such a major issue any more. There’s little time for self-obsessed navel-gazing when you’ve someone else to think about, 24/7. This is not me saying that people who have kids and still struggle with mental health issues are somehow inferior or wrong; it’s me saying that for me, in my situation, having S has sorted me right out.
- At least once a day, I look over at my gorgeous little mischief machine and think “oh my gawd, I made that!!” and with every day that passes, the more I know this is my doing, and nothing her father can take credit for. It’s a massive ego boost to see a child who is so happy, so sociable, so bloody amazing, and know that you might have had anything to do with it.
- Being a mother puts things into perspective in a way nothing else can (as far as I have experienced). The list of Important Things in my life has gone from being as long as my arm to very few items. As long as S has what she needs to be happy and healthy, the rest of it really doesn’t matter. (she said, wearing too-big jeans hanging around her bum, no make-up, hair not done, big grin plastered across her face). I don’t care if my nails have not been painted; none of my clothes fit me; I’ve not been underwear shopping for well over a year. My daughter is happy and since that’s Number One on my list, I don’t care about the rest of it!
Thanks for reading! If you’ve enjoyed reading this please share it with your friends using the buttons below!