55 Cracking Blog Post Ideas
Are you having trouble coming up with your next blog post? Do you ever feel like that blinking cursor on your screen is mocking you? I sometimes go for weeks at a time where I feel like I just don’t know what to write about. I have nothing interesting to say; no opinion to share; no inspiration to be seen. I began compiling a list of blog post ideas to help me get “un-stuck” when I feel like that… and I thought I would share it with you!
This is not a list of blog post titles or an exercise in “fill in the blanks;” it’s more a list of prompts, to get your creative juices flowing and provide a suggestion as to what direction you might take next.
1. Your opinion on something topical – what’s been in the news lately? Has there been a story about something relevant to your blog?
2. A response to another post – what have other bloggers in your niche been talking about lately? Has someone posted something you really agree or disagree with? There’s little to be gained from just reiterating what someone else has said, but if you have something to add to the conversation, blog about it!
3. A list – like this one! List posts are a great way to write a post that’s easy to read and understand. What do you know about, that others might be interested in? Make a list!
4. A review – it doesn’t have to be a freebie. If you’ve bought something lately that you were really impressed with, write a review and tell people. I often review books I’ve bought and read, not just the ones I’m sent to review!
5. Use Google Analytics or the stats page on your blog to see where people are coming to you from. Are lots of people finding you by searching for the same things in Google? Can you write more on that topic?
6. Check out Days of the Year – is there a national day you can write about?
7. The story of your blog name
8. A guide or tutorial – is there something you know how to do, that you could teach others?
9. A recipe – what’s your favourite meal?
10. Interview someone – do you know anyone who has an interesting story?
11. A photo post – photos of your day, your weekend, your office, your house, your garden.
12. A childhood memory – it doesn’t have to be something massive or profound; just a memory.
13. Join a linky! The Linky Linky is a great place for bloggers to list the linkys they run. You can have a look through the list and see if there’s one you’d like to join in with – use the linky titles as a prompt.
14. Set up your own linky – it’s easier than you think!
15. Do a vlog – set your camera to record, and just… jabber!
16. Share your goals – this is great for ensuring you stick to what you want, by holding yourself publicly accountable.
17. Write a to-do list – like goals, by writing down what you need to do, you’re more accountable and therefore likely to do the things!
18. Invite your readers to submit guest posts – either on a theme, like my #DayInTheLife project (which you are welcome to join in with), or on a topic of their choosing.
19. Write about something that really annoys you – and explain why!
20. Write something controversial – people love to read a controversial post, whether they agree with it or not. Is there something about which you have a controversial opinion?
21. Share your favourite blog posts – go back through your archive and find posts you enjoyed writing, or posts that have proved popular.
22. Share your favourite blog posts from others – share the blogging love by showing off some of your peers.
23. Write about something you completely failed at – people love to read posts that show we’re less than perfect!
24. Produce a podcast! I do it; it’s quite fun!
25. Confess! do you have a guilty celeb crush? Have you done something shameful? Did you once dump someone by text? People love a good revelation!
26. Write about your regrets – is there something you really wish you had or hadn’t done?
27. Write about what you would do, if you knew you couldn’t fail – a great topic for a blog post, but also a great exercise for you as a person.
28. Ask a question and answer it. Similar to the previous idea – perhaps a question someone has asked you recently, or you’ve asked someone else.
29. Reveal some little-known facts. Do you have a birth mark on your bum? Can you breathe smoke out of your ears? Show off!
30. Life lessons – blog about the most important lessons you’ve learned in your time.
32. Write a longer version of your “About Me” page with more detail and history.
33. Write about why you blog.
34. Write a “What if” post – what if you won the lottery, what if you moved to the other side of the world, what if you hadn’t done that thing you did when you were in college…
35. Ask your readers’ opinions on something – do they like your blog layout? Do they think you shoudl cut your hair? Which politician do they think is most corrupt?
36. Make a list of the most common mistakes you think people make – in social media, in blogging, in food shopping, whatever you can think of.
37. Write about a life hack – do you do something that saves you loads of time and effort? Share it with the world!
38. Answer questions – invite your readers to ask you questions on social media, and answer them on your blog. You could turn this into a weekly feature.
39. Publish a list of resources – places you can find top tips, places you can edit photos, places to get good quotes, resources for free images…
40. Write about which is your favourite social media channel, and why.
41. Challenge your readers to do something, and invite them to share their results
42. Publish a list of other bloggers you admire and explain why
43. Publish a list of people in your niche who you consider to be the most useful or informative to follow
44. Curate a weekly list – the best posts you’ve read, the most useful tutorials, the funniest posts in your niche.
45. Look back over your blog to this point – what were your finest moments? What have you most enjoyed about blogging, so far?
46. Write a post looking back at “on this day..” The Timehop app is useful for this, but otherwise you could just use your diary or blog!
47. Create an A-Z post – the A-Z of your life, or your niche, of other bloggers, whatever you like!
48. Write an open letter to someone – your old school teacher, a politician, a celebrity?
49. Make a list of your top ten Twitter feeds to follow and explain why
50. Publish a glossary of your blog – a who’s who of people mentioned in it and other key points.
51. Expand on the ideas in an old post, or publish an update to that story.
52. Use the HubSpot Blog Topic Generator
53. Write a post about your biggest passion. What is it? Why do you love it so?
54. Your (or your child’s) favourite TV show – what you love (or hate) about it.
55. A post about what’s changed since you started your blog: has your child grown up? Your business expanded? Your house been renovated?
Five Bonus Tips: Places to Look for Inspiration
1. Forums relating to your niche – what are people talking about? Has someone asked a question you can answer?
2. Facebook – what’s happening on your timeline right now?
3. Google Alerts – you can set up an alert for any keyword relating to your blog content, and set it to send you an email.regularly with links to places your keyword has been mentioned.
4. StumbleUpon – a great place to randomly find content that can inspire you
5. Google Trends – tells you what people have been searching for.
That is a fantastic help....Thank you x Kim Carberry recently posted...Why I prefer to shop online....
Such a useful and inspiring post! Thanks :) LiveLoveCreateInspire recently posted...The Best of Etsy
I've just stumbled upon StumbleUpon and am loving it, such a random collection of things thrown at you, stuff I haven't already seen! This is a great list, thanks for sharing #thelist Mumma McD recently posted...How to get out the door with 2 kids in 30 easy steps
Jenni - Odd Socks and Lollipops
Such a useful post, thanks for sharing! I am going to be using lots of these ideas =) Jenni - Odd Socks and Lollipops recently posted...Word of the Week – Quiet
This is a fab list Vicky! I am definitely going to favourite this one so I can quickly jump to it when I'm stuck for writing ideas! Thanks for sharing :) #weekendbloghop Lisa (mummascribbles) recently posted...It’s our home-iversary
Such a great list, pinning this for reference! Thanks for creating. :) Leandra recently posted...|#wotw|happier! - 17 April
What a great list of ideas, so far I haven't become stuck for an idea but you have given me some great ideas anyway (bookmarking for when i need it as well) Ashley Beolens recently posted...Back pain and kids
These are great tips! Thank you for sharing. Have bookmarked & pinned this post! :) Sarah xx Sarah recently posted...You Know You're A Stay At Home Mum When..
K. Renae P.
Great list. I think I may do a 'Teacher Hack' list. K. Renae P. recently posted...Questions Answered by Twitter VI
In needed this. Thank you. I am going to bookmark it for future reference. I usually find myself headed one way and then my post goes off in a tangent in a completely different direction. I have made the habit of keeping my phone beside my bed with the notes open so I can type some idea quick if it pops into my head while I am sleeping. For some reason I swear I get some brilliant ideas while sleeping and then forget them by morning ;) Sara recently posted...Can You Be Friends With a Narcissist?
This is so useful; thanks for sharing. I must admit keeping the momentum going isn't always easy - particularly when you have to deal with mummy guilt about not devoting every second to your kids! #WeekendBlogHop Linda Hobbis recently posted...SPOILER ALERT: Glossybox April Edition - The Iconic Edit
You Baby Me Mummy
What fab ideas huni. Thanks so much for linking up to #TheList x You Baby Me Mummy recently posted...Gratitude List #45
Great list will never be stuck on what to blog again!! Everything Mummy recently posted...My Week In Pictures #13
Great list - I also find that asking a question on social media dn collating those answers is a great blog post as those involved want to share it out to their wider audience too. Joanne recently posted...Using social media to drive traffic to your blog
I love these kind of posts! Pinned for future use :) Thank you #TheList becky recently posted...#WickedWednesdays