The last few weeks, S hasn’t been sleeping so well. She’s been a bit grumpy.
She’d been teething for months, but that didn’t seem to be bothering her – rather, she was just fed up.
She whined a lot. Nothing pleased her.
After two months of sleeping through from 6pm to 6am, she started waking at 5:30, then 5, then 4am. She stopped going to sleep at 6pm too. Some evening she would still be awake at 9pm. Her naps became unpredictable, and some days nonexistent.
This all coincided with her first couple of months at nursery. I don’t mind admitting that on the days we spent together, I was often left wondering, how the hell did I used to fill our days? How did I cope with this?
|Using my purse as a phone.|
This weekend, the whining grumpiness stopped. She still wasn’t able to sleep too well, thanks to the heat and noisy neighbourhood, but she was a lot happier.
- On Friday evening, she suddenly started stacking her blocks up. When she managed four in a row, she stopped and gave herself a clap.
- She’s started saying “uh-oh” whenever she drops something
- She’s using anything and everything as a phone, saying “hiyaaaa… buh-bye….” over and over again
- She’s now able to feed herself her tea, without most of it being lost. She’s getting better and better at this skill she’s seemingly learned over night.
- In the bath, she crouches down behind the side of the bath and plays peekaboo with me. She understands that once I’ve washed her hair, it’s time to get out, and even holds her arms up to be lifted out.
- She’s walking everywhere, all the time, at every available opportunity. If we’re at home for more than an hour, she’s often found walking back and forth between the front door and the far end of the living room, chattering to her teddy as she goes.
- She’s suddenly interested in playing with her Duplo, and even tries to put pieces together. Previously the Duplo was useful only as a source of noise.
- She’s started trying to put clothes on herself. This usually means pjyama bottoms worn as a hat or scarf, but still; she’s trying!
- She cuddles her teddies now. She takes Tigger to bed with her, and gives him a big cuddle. In the day time, she often picks up Ted and gives him a squeeze.
- She dances in time with music. Any music; all music.
- Last night she clapped Andy Murray on TV every time the crowd at Wimbledon clapped.
- She opens her book of Orange, Pear, Apple, Bear, points to the bear and says, Bear!
But the cutest part? Yesterday, we bumped into a friend in the park. We walked a lap of the park together, and then went our separate ways. As we were saying our goodbyes, S blew her a kiss. She’s never done that before or since, despite both of our trying to convince her to do an encore.
Thanks for reading! If you’ve enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends using the buttons below.